What is PIP (Personal Injury Protection)?

by | Sep 23, 2022

PIP, or personal injury protection, is the “no-fault” portion of your automobile insurance policy. That means whether you were at fault, or not, you use PIP to help pay for certain expenses related to an auto accident. You can think of PIP as a health insurance policy you can use ONLY for auto-related injuries with a capped amount of $10,000.

PIP does the following:

A

PIP pays 80% of your medical bills up to your policy limit. In most cases that will be the mandatory $10,000 minimum unless you purchased more. The remaining 20% remains your responsibility (unless you purchased medical payments (med pay) coverage, then the remaining 20% is covered)

A

PIP pays 60% of your lost wages up to your policy limits if you lost any work time due to a doctor’s recommendation, but only if you didn’t exclude lost wages when purchasing your policy.

A

PIP reimburses you for mileage for trips to and from your doctors which, again, caps at your policy limits (currently the IRS updated mileage rate is $0.18 cpm).

A

In the event of a death, PIP pays $5,000.00 in “death benefits.”

Remember, if you have a deductible, you’ll be responsible for meeting that deductible as well. It is always a good idea to purchase PIP with NO DEDUCTIBLE to make the most out of your protection.

PIP also doesn’t cover ALL treatments. Acupuncture and massages are not covered by PIP. This is why it’s important to get the correct treatment early to ensure you are getting your treatment covered.
It’s also important to remember PIP can be reduced, or outright denied, if certain thresholds aren’t met. In order to avoid losing your PIP coverage, you must seek treatment within 14 days of a car accident. This is why, even if you only feel slight discomfort, it is worth stopping into an urgent care clinic to get checked out. That way, if your symptoms begin to worsen after the initial 14 days, you’ve at least secured your coverage.

Finally, your $10,000 in PIP can also be reduced to a paltry $2,500 if a doctor doesn’t deem your visit an emergency medical condition. If a doctor thinks your failure to treat could mean a serious jeopardy to your health, they will indicate you had an emergency medical condition and you will be eligible for your full $10,000 in coverage.

Need more information on PIP or any other type of coverage? Give us a call! We don’t mind answering questions, and it’s free!

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Get your Free Consultation Today

With Over $100 Million in Settlements, our law firm has the experience and personalized service to help you recover what you deserve.

Get YOUR FREE CONSULTATION

Our law firm is not too large to provide you with the personalized service that has helped our clients recover

Over $100 Million in Settlements!

For most people, the legal system can be a burden both frightening and confusing. We will take that burden from you and process your claim through the legal system.

Z

FREE Consultation

If an office visit is not possible, we will visit you at home or in the hospital at no cost to you.
Z

24 Hours A Day

Our legal staff is available 24 Hours A Day to serve you. Just call us at 1-800-332-1992 for assistance.
Z

Legal Rights

We will pursue your legal rights and, should you receive a settlement or judgment, see that you collect any and all of the following: lost wages, medical expenses, (bills for the ambulance, doctors, hospital or others), property damages and a cash award for pain and suffering.
Z

Experienced Staff

As our client, we are concerned you recover any and all benefits due you. Our experienced legal staff is committed to help you through this difficult time.

524 9th Street West
Bradenton, Florida 34205
1-800-332-1992
ContactUs@QLaw.com

Due to the most recent update to Hurricane Ian's track, our office will be closing at noon today. We will remain closed Wednesday and Thursday. Storm or not, you can still reach us by telephone. 1-800-332-1992 or via the contact form on our website: www.QLaw.comStay safe! We'll see you on the other side! #Ian #HurricanePrep #hurricane #staysafe ... See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook