No-Fault is Here to Stay! (For Now)

by | Jul 1, 2021

Florida will remain one of 12 no-fault states. Governor DeSantis vetoed a bill that would have removed mandatory Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits and would have replaced it with $25,000.00 in mandatory bodily injury liability coverage.

If you’ve read some of our prior blog posts, you should know PIP is the mandatory no-fault portion of your car insurance policy. PIP provides $10,000.00 in medical payments (although it only pays 80% of the bill, leaving you to pay the remaining 20%, and any amount above the $10,000.00 limits). PIP pays your medical bills whether you were at fault or not (hence, “no-fault” coverage).

By vetoing the bill, Florida remains only 1 of 2 states that does not require some form of injury liability coverage for auto insurance policies. The bill ultimately failed due to the large amount of uncertainty as to how the changes would affect customer premiums.

As it stands, Florida has one of the highest auto insurance premiums in the country. Opponents of the bill feared the changes would cause premiums to increase for the poorest Floridians. Proponents of the bill thought premiums would drop since PIP fraud would be a thing of the past.

Despite the outcome, Governor DeSantis left the door open for a change in Florida auto insurance in the future. He recognized the current system has flaws and is deficient.

Maybe sometime in the future we will have a balanced bill that will guarantee injury victims a way to be compensated by the negligent drivers who caused their injuries. For now, the best thing you can do is protect yourself. Talk to your insurance agent and add uninsured motorist protection (UM) to your policy! It is the only way to guarantee additional compensation for your injuries above your no-fault coverage in a car crash.

Injured due to someone else’s negligence? Give us a call! We can help! 1-800-332-1992


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get your Free Consultation Today

With Over $100 Million in Settlements, our law firm has the experience and personalized service to help you recover what you deserve.


Our law firm is not too large to provide you with the personalized service that has helped our clients recover

Over $100 Million in Settlements!

For most people, the legal system can be a burden both frightening and confusing. We will take that burden from you and process your claim through the legal system.


FREE Consultation

If an office visit is not possible, we will visit you at home or in the hospital at no cost to you.

24 Hours A Day

Our legal staff is available 24 Hours A Day to serve you. Just call us at 1-800-332-1992 for assistance.

Legal Rights

We will pursue your legal rights and, should you receive a settlement or judgment, see that you collect any and all of the following: lost wages, medical expenses, (bills for the ambulance, doctors, hospital or others), property damages and a cash award for pain and suffering.

Experienced Staff

As our client, we are concerned you recover any and all benefits due you. Our experienced legal staff is committed to help you through this difficult time.

607 7th Street East
Bradenton, FL 34208


Articles on this site are not binding legal advice and are being provided for educational purposes only. Laws change constantly, so articles on this site should not be relied on when making legal decisions. For the most current information, please contact our office.